Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dumb Mistake College Ministers Make #5

Dumb Mistake #5 is "Not Playing to your Strengths". A while back we had some staff changes and I lost an Assistant Director position. I had to think about what I would cut out in order to cover some of the ground this person had covered. One of my decisions was to increase the amount of time I spend preparing to speak at our main weekly event. I can be a decent speaker, but even better when I plan carefully and really have time to work on it. I realized that since speaking was not hard for me, that I had been short-changing my prep time to do other things. I decided if we were losing help, I should be sure the things I do well I should do better.

As a college minister, do you play to your strengths or do you short-cut them to get other things done? God made us unique for a reason. Don't do just what you are good at doing----but, don't short-cut your strengths in order to do something that may be less effective. We only have so much time---how are you investing that time? I decided to double the amount of time I spent preparing to speak at our weekly meeting. What's your strength(s)? Are you running toward them or away?
Arliss Dickerson
Baptist Collegiate Minister
Arkansas State University
Leadership Development Contract Worker, Lifeway Collegiate Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment